Position calibration - not working or I don't understand?

Alles was nicht direkt mit dem normalen Verhalten des PC_DIMMERs zu tun hat
Antworten
exjab

Position calibration - not working or I don't understand?

Beitrag von exjab »

Hello,
I can't get position calibration work for any device :roll: ..Maybe I don't understand the purpose of it or it is not working...Build 5.0.9 4401 and also 4402 (same situation).

Step 1: I create some project, put into it one device (eg some scanner) with PAN and TILT channels (in DDF editor those channels are really of type PAN and TILT).
Step 2: Select that device in "Devicecontrol window", click Calibrate button and create a calibration zone on the right side, for example only into a very small square in the middle, not whole area as it was before. The preview works ok.
Step 3: Back to Devicecontrol , set on the device that new created calibration zone (in the combo box).

My expectations: Now I would expect...if I create a moving scene OR an effect altering PAN/TILT of this device OR if I move the pan/tilt position of that device on the panel on Sidebar...pan/tilt values to be converted (in my example if I create a moving scene with circular movent, this calibrated scanner would move it's mirrory only in a small angle in the middle and it will never reach it's corners.

Reality: Scanner uses it's whole angle, does not respect calibration in any way.

What am I doing wrong? :roll: :roll: :wink:
I tried multiple DDFs, multiple situations..all resulting the same... :wall:
Christian
PC_DIMMER-Entwickler
Re: Position calibration - not working or I don't understand?

Beitrag von Christian »

Hi,

you can chose between up to 16 different calibrations per device. So make shure, that you are not using the "Deactivated" one (which is the 17th option and which is chosen as default).

I've attached some pictures to this post...

The values are not changed for the GUI so you will not realize a scaling within the XY-Inputs. So DMX-values will only be changed at the output to the DMX-interface-plugins.

see you,
Chris
Dateianhänge
calibration2.png
calibration2.png (41.75 KiB) 4506 mal betrachtet
calibration1.png
calibration1.png (29.44 KiB) 4506 mal betrachtet
exjab

Beitrag von exjab »

Aha! This will be the problem, GUI :) I thought that DMX values in Channeloverview, or Faderpanel are final and should reflect this calibration. Also the blue tiny lines over the PCDIMMER logo in main panel do not reflect it:)

However I don't know why I haven't used this function before, because it looks really super :thumb: I can't stand stil to test it today in my garrage and use it on a party this Friday with multiple heads and scanners in at least four callibration zones ("shine in to the crowd", "shine on the ceiling", "shine on the dj" etc. :clap:

Thank you for a fast reply :wink:
Christian
PC_DIMMER-Entwickler

Beitrag von Christian »

You are right, it _should_ be reflected to this faders, but there is one problem: when the calibrated values are represented on the faderpanel-faders and you try to change them, which value should be set? The calibrated value, or the non-calibrated value?

Many people are using the faderpanel to setup the lights or the position of devices and then create a scene out of this settings. It would be chaotic if there are several different sets here - even more if you are changing the calibration from number 1 to number 2 for example.

So I decided to use the calibration as a output-filter between PC_DIMMER and the output-plugins and leave all faders within the program within uncalibrated range between 0 and 255. Maybe I can add some information to the function so that this is more clear.

Enjoy your party,
Chris
exjab

Beitrag von exjab »

Now I understand it and it seems quite logical this way.
Maybe only some kind of new window with real channel output values could be useful (or better a checkbox in Channeloverview called like "show absolute output values / show relative values before calibration", beacause PCdimmer has already two windows with all dmx channels, so making a third one should be confusing for new users). But that's only an idea, it's useful already :thumb:
Jan
Christian
PC_DIMMER-Entwickler

Beitrag von Christian »

Yes, I will think about this. I've put this topic into the Bugtracker, so it is now a ToDo-Cue.

bye,
Chris
Antworten